The year I turned 29, I made a list of 30 things that I wanted to accomplish before I turned the big 3–0. 29 turned out to be a pretty crazy year, so crazy that I must have just scrapped the list and thrown it out because I can't find it anywhere. That being the case, I decided to start the 40 / 40 Project: 40 Things to Accomplish Before 40.
Become a morning person. With enough coffee, I can do anything! Buy a house with a big yard. (See 6, 7, and 8.) Create an warm, inviting, comfortable home, where Scarlett, Leo, and their friends want to spend time. Become a good cook. This requires that I actually cook, but stranger things have happened.
- Write a recipe.
Grow a vegetable garden. Raise chickens in a backyard coop. For eggs. No, no, not to eat.(Just discovered the smell of chicken poop makes me dry heave. This one has to go.)
- Keep bees. I never kill bees because they are magical, so we already have a pretty good relationship.
- Grow orchids. Keep them alive.
- Learn to meditate, possibly getting it started with a silent yoga retreat.
Build a library. Brian and I both suffer from bibliomania. Needless to say, we have more than enough books already.
- Vacation in Mexico, preferably on a beach. This does not mean Cancun. Or Tijuana.
Learn to forgive and forget. Let go of residual fears and anger.
- Practice yoga every day.
- Find a cardio routine and stick to it.
- Learn to live on 80% of my income, save 10%, and tithe 10%.
- Pay off my student loans.
- Set up a retirement account.
- Start donating to my alma maters. I think it may be bad karma not to.
- Build a Habitat for Humanity Home.
- Get another degree because why not?
- Learn to like camping. I'm still not over the great camping disaster of 2002.
- Put together my own cabaret show.
- Learn to play the guitar.
And the ukulele.
- Buy a piano.
- Record an album of my own songs. Cultivate the courage to share it.
- Write and publish a book or memoir.
- Play Sally Bowles.
- Start learning Spanish. NYC Restaurant Spanish is not useful in real life.
- Have a painting exhibited at the MOBA.
- Donate blood every 56 days.
- Take ballet class again. Be mistaken for a ballerina.
- Keep a daily journal.
- Find a cause to champion and volunteer for it on a regular basis.
- Run for school board.
- Knit anything other than a scarf.
- Raise well-adjusted, empathetic, independent children.
Get legally married to Brianand go on a proper honeymoon.
- Work full-time as a musician.
P.S. Thanks to Marelisa at Abundance Blog for her list of ideas. They were very helpful.